Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Flaky

Allow me to introduce myself.

 

I am Flaky.

 

Not the good kind; the crescent roll kind that we all savor and secretly steal in excess of 5 at Thanksgiving dinner. 

 

The kind that is all enthusiastic and blazing guns at the beginning of things, only to be distracted and move on quite shortly.

 

Up until very recently, I was Flaky & Co.; the “& Co.” being none other than our beloved Mimi.  I’m not sure what in particular has gotten a hold of her to be so passionate about this Exercise Blog.  Really, I’m not.  Again, in the Past, it would have been something we would have discussed at length and then never done.

 

So I am perplexed, yet happily surprised, that it has gone gangbusters so far.  As I told Mimi today, she’s practically famous!

 

Back to me.  I, like Mimi, am not one of those “athletic” types.  I have been known to sport full athletic garb from time to time, once when I had surgery and had to wear sports bras for two weeks (prompting athletic gear shopping trip to Marshall’s to outfit myself appropriately as “sporty” instead of, “why is that woman wearing a sports bra with her shirt?”) and another few times when I didn’t get around to showering before I left the house.  Somehow wearing athletic garb made even me feel like maybe I was just about to exercise.

 

Now, I will say that I too “do” Pilates.  Full confessional:  1.) I own a VERY good DVD and 2.) I have attended two Pilates classes at my local Y.  I like to think of myself as a Pilates-doer.  I also like to think of myself as having quite a bit of Yoga experience, as I did pre-natal yoga whilst pregnant with my son.

 

But back to the point. (See?  I told you I’m flaky.)  So, yes, it was indeed my idea to do just 5 minutes a day.  But AGAIN, full confessional:  1.) With the motivation to back Mimi off a little bit and 2.) get myself off the hook from being a true exerciser.  NO noble, cool marketing ideas of doing something new and trendy, as it seems.  Sheer laziness.

 

As it were (what the HEK does that expression mean anyways?  Eh, I like it) I have only ONCE done my “5 minutes” (as you read in earlier post).  However, I got clearance from Mimi that it would be ok to discuss my Theories on Exercise until I feel up to squeezing in my 5 minutes a day.

 

Okay, so Theory 1:

 

1.)   In order for something to be a habit, you have to link it with something that is ALREADY part of your routine.

 

This may or may not be news to you, dear readers. (i.e., it is part of the secret language of FlyBabies).  However, my mother told me this so she gets first credit.  So here are my options of things I FOR SURE do every day of which I can link my 5 minutes:

·      Brushing my teeth

·      Showering

·      Arguing with my 2 year-old as to whether or not he actually has to sit in his chair to eat his meals

·      Making and drinking coffee

·      Googling “good mental health:  definition”

·      Talking to Mimi

·      Vino Hour

·      Watching a Friends episode

·      Losing my phone, keys, shoes, self

 

So I would love to hear your input as to which of these items seems most probable to link my 5 minutes of exercise.  Perhaps I should automatically disqualify showering and losing things, as the first may cause injury and the latter may cause excessive bad language.

 

 

Anxiously awaiting your suggestions…

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Flaky (you so are NOT),

    OK, Mimi's mama here, and your 'other mother.' Realize this may be an excess of comments from the parental sector, so I'll make it brief:

    I would suggest linking your 5 minutes to the 'Vino Hour.' That way, you have built-in pain control; you can do it in your kitchen as you argue with your toddler about where you want him to sit and as you cook (if you wish to cook); you can do 5-minutes of squats, lunges and calf-raises while you drink the vino; and, if you fall down, you don't have far to crawl for help.

    Que pense tu of this idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I would link to brushing your teeth. Then it is done and just in case you get a tad hot during your 5 minutes, you still have your shower. Yes, link to your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, you could take a plastic cup of wine into the shower, brush your teeth while you're in there -- then you'd be linking to three things. Just don't let any water get in the cup so as to dilute the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should link it to telling 2 year old to sit in chair. Tell him Mama will do a "show" during dinner.

    GG - COMMENT IS BEST FAVE EV. You are brilliant. Ultimate multitasking.

    no, wait I have another one. Link it to showering. That way you are naked and you can get a good look at all the issues going on. Motivation, snatch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also feel really inclined to google "good mental health: defintion" now. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely squeeze in crunches for only five minutes of friends... Or laugh EXCESSIVELY hard at A. Friends episode or B. MiMi... Done correctly and in tear inducing excess, laughter is a fabulous ab workout. Should you feel inspired, laugh excessively while doing crunches. OR buy an extremely strong mug (of sorts), tie a 5lb weight to it and sip vino at leisure. You CAN totally do this. Think of a perfect stranger congratulating you on your "bun in the oven" (personal experience) and be motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun would it be to just be talking to each other for those 5 minutes AND be excersizing??!! I think then you would be motivating each other and the 5 minutes would fly by!!
    LOVE the idea of this blog btw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, that blog is a great idea, and I'm excited how you will do! Kelly mentioned you on her blog (which I love to read) and that made me come and drop a comment.

    Oh, and I would link it do the friends episode, right to the beginning, than you will feel better if you watch the rest of it while having some vino.. at least I would!

    Greetings from Germany,
    Ronja

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting theory about linking to an existing habit. It's funny I've never remembered to do Kegels when I've been pregnant before, but a couple of weeks ago somebody suggested doing them when I pee (I know TMI), anyway, it works... I actually remember. So I vote for a new option. Next time you really have to pee, do 5 minutes of jumping jacks first, and guess what double bonus, you'll probaby have to do kegels as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOSH!!!! You are all both brilliantly funny and just plain brilliant! Or as we like to obnxiously quip, "Brill!"

    So I have been inspired to TRY each and every suggestion. Last night I tried one...which one did I do?? Ah, the suspense. :) I will post about it later today!

    ReplyDelete