Monday, September 7, 2009

Come home in your body

You know it's yoga day because I have little awesome sayings like "Come home in your body" which, when the yoga teacher said this tonight, I thought "Ah, yes, that is lovely. I shall do that. Oh, wait a second...I have no idea what that means."

I did make it back to yoga...on National Free Yoga Day...at a 6pm class, so it was PACKED. I did go willingly, no real stalling or anything (yea! growing and changing). I want to take this opportunity to once again remind myself of one of the first things I wrote: DRESS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Because when I got to class tonight and looked at myself in the mirror, I have to say, it is NOT AT ALL what I thought I looked like when I left the house.

Have you ever had those times when you get dressed, confidently of course, and think "Ok, well, this looks good, right?" only to get out in public and realize that No, It Most Certainly Does Not Look Good. This was the case in my "athletic ware" tonight. Tip #1: Don't wear a shirt that is loose and falls around your face exposing your (very toned, of course) stomach when you are in Downward Facing Dog position. You are in this position like a whole lot in yoga class. So I had to tuck my shirt into my awesome sweat pants/biker shorts and it was not good. I'm gonna go ahead and say it was the weird way my outfit was looking, but I was not looking very athletic tonight (like I do in my head). I HATE that - when all the wonderful yummy food you've been eating catches up with you smack in the middle of a crowded yoga class in Downward Facing Dog position.

I am glad I went. I feel very relaxed. And physically fit. That is the truth. And I might even go back next week.

Just so you know I haven't missed a day yet, last night after a big, delish dinner and a bottle of vino and a movie with my husband, I made him go out and walk up and down the street with me for 5 minutes. He humoured me. (he is very sweet). He was strolling along, but I told him he had to pick up the pace for it to count. It was 11:00pm - he thought I was nuts.

Being Grateful:

Here is one thing I want to put out there: I am grateful for my body. I am grateful I am not sick, not in chronic pain, not handicapped or immoblized in any way. I am grateful I have the CHOICE to exercise. And I am grateful for all the millions of things my body does all day long the second I ask it to. The end.

Thank you SO MUCH to our new commenters! We LOVE love love comments and knowing other people can relate. Please comment about anything and everything: any athletic ware tips or stories, any ideas for 5 minutes of exercise, stories of such, why you love vino, etc. We are going to talk about maybe creating a 5-minute Club, so if you ARE doing your 5-minutes (or seriously thinking about it), you'll be in good company.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness, I have SO had those moments when, catching a glance of yourself in a mirror, you look NOTHING LIKE the picture of Said Self in your head. In fact, I've had many of them. It usually involves thinking I look 30 years younger and 100 # thinner than I am.

    At least you were in an athletic env. I was in Dillard's N'Park during my most memorable Mirror Shock Reality Therapy. I not only didn't come close to the standard of those around me, I also did not come anywhere close to any sort of standard that might be applied for National Free Yoga Day.

    By the way, what were we trying to Free Yoga from?

    ReplyDelete